The human mind is one of the most enduring enigmas in the entire universe.The word Psychology comes from the ancient Greek word “Psyche” which means the “soul” or “mind” and logos which means “study”. Thus the study of psychology involves the study of mind. It is the study of perception memory, emotions, motives and attitudes. Over the years, many psychologists and scientists have tried to unveil the secrets of the human mind. While going through different stages in life and tackling problems, we generally are too involved in the situation to make a rational decision. We need the guidance of others at such times. Counseling is an integral part of Psychology.
Psychology is no longer restricted to within the academic walls. It has become more practical and applied. The knowledge of psychology is being used in educating children, guiding youth, rehabilitating the handicapped, training personnel, selling products, easing group tensions and race conflicts. It has permitted the study of almost every sphere of human behavior.
SOME OF THE AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Personnel Psychology
- Educational Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Counseling Psychology
- Industrial Psychology
- Engineering Psychology
- Consumer Psychology
- Clinical Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
- Neuro Psychology
- Legal Psychology
- After Class XII (any subject) graduation in psychology. Options are a BA (Hons) in Psychology/ BA with Psychology as one of the subjects.
- After Class XII (with psychology) B.Sc. (Hons) Psychology.
- Specializations in the subject can be pursued at the postgraduate level / professional courses after post graduation.
The basic characteristics needed are patience, listening ability, judgment power, intuitiveness, inner strength, which are in high demand today along with the following:
- Ability to analyze & make interpretation
- Capable of organizing their work along with maintaining required interactions
- Emotional maturity
- Fair and unbiased attitude
- Good communication skills
- Good listening skills
- Intense desire to help and ability to understand people
- Logical thinking
- Systematic and methodical approach towards work
Psychologists work with age-groups ranging from 6-60 across the globe. The employment opportunities are not only determined by the specialization but also the keenness to work with & for the better of human beings and society at large. The designation of a Psychologist is determined by the nature of work that s/he performs. Psychologists can find opportunities in:
- Consultancy firms
- Counseling & Guidance Organizations
- Community health centers or clinics
- Defense Services
- Educational Institutions
- Vocational Guidance Firms
- Government Social Welfare Department
- Market Research Organizations
- NGO’s / Social Service Organizations
- Old age homes
- Placement agencies
- Prisons /Rehabilitation centers / Remand Home
- Research Institutions
Psychologists are meant to work only with abnormal people or problematic personalities is a myth the fact is even normal people need guidance & counseling for overcoming certain issues in their life. There is no need to mention the sad state of the world today. People are caught in the mad race of ‘going ahead’ and unable to cope with the changing times. Emotional insecurities are at a high and counselors, who are level-headed and supportive, are essential to the community. Counseling can prove to be beneficial in other careers as well, such as social worker, public relations, human resources, personnel management. The demand for psychologists and counselors is expected to rise in corporate, correctional, educational, and public settings. The old stigma attached to therapy is fading, as more people turn to therapists to help them get through difficult situations.